Who We Are
Oakland Youth Orchestras is a four-tiered teaching orchestra program serving students in grades 2 through 12 from numerous communities in southeast Michigan. Each year we attract over 350 students who want to be challenged beyond their school music experience. Our conductors are accomplished musicians with extensive backgrounds in performance and music education.
The mission of OYO is to inspire student musicians by providing an exceptional orchestral experience. OYO fosters enrichment through opportunities in music theory, chamber music, community outreach performance and competitions. OYO values its partnership with local school programs and private teachers, who share in the development of our student musicians.
We foster the development of individual and group skills in an atmosphere of team building, commitment, and enthusiasm. OYO stresses excellence within a friendly environment.
We Are Community
The Oakland Youth Orchestras is much more than dedicated student musicians led by dynamite conductors – although that’s pretty great. We are community.
- Students – Who come together through their love of music; who learn, laugh, and make friendships that last for years.
- Parents – Who see their children grow and excel; who meet other parents through OYO volunteer and fundraising activities.
- Conductors – Professional musicians and experienced music educators who understand that making music is a gift that lasts a lifetime.
- Board members – who provide their time and talents to see that OYO is guided by sound policies.
- Donors – Who generously support OYO at a time when music education is being eliminated or reduced in many schools (link to support section). We couldn’t do it without you!
Board of Directors
Board members provide their time and talents to see that OYO is guided by sound policies. The Board is comprised of the Executive Director, President, Vice President, Conductors, Treasurer, Secretary, Librarian, and Parent Volunteers, as well as non-voting members who serve in advisory positions.
Board of Directors & Staff
|President – William Holifield||Symphony Conductor – Zeljko Milicevic|
|Vice President – Sreedhar Kaluva||Phiharmonia Conductor – >Wendy Stuart|
|Treasurer – Brenda Papp||Strings Conductor – John Kennedy|
|Secretary – Karen Castaldi||Studio String Conductor – Nick Karpinsky|
|Symphony Orchestra Manager – Bill Stamp||Executive Director – Joanne Walle|
|Philharmonia Orchestra Manager – Nancy Starr||Admin Assistant / Librarian – Jenni Shier|
|String Orchestra Manager – Karshibia Davidson-Tuckey|
|Studio String Orchestra Manager – Mary Tison|
|Marketing / Publicity – Tiffany Palmer|
|Advisor -James Lentini|